What’s up with HWY 407 ETR?
After exhausting all avenues of resolution, I give up. It does not seem toÂ matter how many times I phone them to dispute a bill that was paid over a year ago. Without warning I receive a bill over 1 year later for two trips I took on this highway 2 years prior.
For the two trips from Brampton to Markham my cost was $63.00 with penalties and interest. I learned this at the MOT (Ministry of Transportation) office when I tried to renew my sticker. They would not renew my sticker without payment in full. Even though I knew I paid this bill before I moved away from the GTA I thought it would be easier to just pay it as this highway I will never use again.
Another year goes by, it’s time to renew my license plate sticker again.Â This year it turns out I owe 407 ETR $73.00 in unpaid toll fees. Once again the MOT will not renew my sticker without payment in full. Reluctantly I paid the bill again knowing that I have not driven on the highway for 3 years.
After speaking to the kind staff at ETR it was explained that a number of charges were billing errors (plate reading errors), penalties, interest and enforcement fees. I have talked to 407 customer care several times over the last couple years to try and resolve this. They tell me it will all be fine on the next billing. Unfortunately they have yet to live up to their word.
So I decided to do a little investigating of my own. How many other people have had a similar experience? It was unbelievable what I found.
Â MTO Conducts it Own Survey of 407 Customer Abuse
There was enough noise in the air as far back as 2004. Customer complaints were piling in and MTO was being dragged through the mud because they were collecting the alleged unpaid funds by denying plate renewal. The MTO conducted its own investigation.
“The mission was to collect as many stories about peoples’ experiences with the 407 ETR, both good and bad, to get a better sense of customer service – what was working, and what wasn’t.”
- The various people that I heard from voiced 1,137 concerns about the 407 ETR.
- There were stories of people getting calls from a collection agency up to five times a day, every day.
- One person told us that they received a bill showing that they had left the highway from two consecutive exits within two minutes.
- Based on the nature and number of concerns expressed, the company appeared to have problems with some of its equipment.”
I think its ridiculous that any company can be permitted to operate in this manner. They have proven to millions of customers they cannot be trusted.
Other Known 407 ETR Issues
Just in case you want to learn more about this escalating situation for some 407 ETR travelers here’s a few more links to check out>
- Billing Issue– Customer explains how 407 bills cannot seem to be stopped and how 407 customer care lies about \”taking care of unfair billings.
- $25-million lawsuit- When an individual claims bankruptcy 407 takes unlawful collection actions that violates the Bankruptcy and Insolvency Act.
- Unfair Collection Practices– 407 uses bullying collection tactics to collect on bills that are often in error, deceased customers, etc. The MOT will not allow you to purchase license plates or a sticker until the bill is paid in full (plate denial)
- Plate Denial-
- 10 Year old 407 bills arrive– the original trip was $17.69, the bill was for $327; with no prior notification.
- 2004 review of customer service– A review of a multitude of customer complaints. \”The company appeared to have problems with some of its equipment. This seemed to be the cause of at least some of the incorrect billings. Some people who use transponders were still billed as if not using them. Some people were billed for “ghost-usage” of the highway â€” trips that haven’t been made, exits that hadn’t been taken. In some cases tractor/trailer vehicles resulted in drivers being double billed.â€ To this day, 407 ETRâ€˜s billing practices have not changed.
- 407etr Racketeering– 407 ETR creating multiple accounts for one user and refusing to stop billing a zero balanced account as agreed by customer care.
- Make a Complaint– Once you totally exhaust all avenues of resolution you can make a complaint with the Ombudsman of Ontario.
- Bankrupt Drivers fight 407– To further illustrate 407\’s inability to be honest, VP of communications Kevin Sack denies denying.
407 Abuse Activist on Gila and Guests
If you have been put through the ringer by 407 there’s you can voice your complaints many different ways.
- Watch this 407 ETR Railroad video– Then tell your story or make a comment
- Join Facebook Groups– To petition 407’s abuse of power
- Read what other 407 ETR customers say– There’s no shortage of negative vibes from others that have experienced unacceptable customer care (billing issues).
- Class Action Lawsuit– learn more about how “Lawyer David Thompson is working to certify a class action lawsuit on behalf of bankrupts who can’t renew their plates until they pay 407 fines.”